May 14, 2012

Extra Sharp Cheddar Mac and Cheese


I did it again!! Mac and Cheese for mother's day dinner. Here is the link for the first time I made it with white cheddar for my aunt Nan. This time I used New York extra sharp orange cheddar. I tripled the original recipe from Family Kitchen to make enough for our Mother's Day family party and we barely touched the 2nd casserole dish. The ingredients below are for one batch.

Like I said this time I used orange cheddar. It kind of separated and was a little oilier than the white cheddar. I'm not sure if this is because of the orange coloring or what but it freaked me out for a minute when I was making the cheese sauce. When I tossed it with the pasta though, it came out fine.

Ingredients:

1 lb box macaroni
6 Tablespoons butter
2 T. flour
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
about 8 oz feta cheese
1 small 8 oz block New York extra sharp orange cheddar, grated

1/2 c. bread crumbs mixed with 4 T. parmesan cheese for the topping

Method:

Cook your pasta al dente and put it aside.
In a bowl grate all of your cheddar, crumble feta, and mix them with your parmesan so the cheese is all ready to go when you have melted the butter.
In a medium to large frying pan (depending on how much mac and cheese you are making) brown the butter over medium heat by melting it and continuing to stir it until it foams and then brown bits form in the pan and the butter smells really nutty. I really browned my butter this time and it came out better than last time.
Immediately add the flour and stir, it will get all foamy again.
Now add the milk and stir it in.
After a minute of stirring add all of your cheese and turn the burner to low, continuing to stir until the cheese is melted.
Pour the cheese over the pasta in a big bowl and mix to combine it.
At this point you may want to add more butter or cheese if you desire, I added more cheese and a couple more tablespoons of butter. Mix it all in so everything is evenly combined.
Pour the mac and cheese into a cake pan or casserole dish and sprinkle your breadcrumb mixture on top. Put it in the oven on BROIL until the top is brown and crispy.


No comments:

Post a Comment