May 2, 2012

Baked Mac n Cheese


This is the other dish I made my Aunt Nan while she visits for my graduation. I liked the brown butter aspect of it. The recipe comes from The Family Kitchen.

My picture shows the mac n cheese ready to go into the fridge to wait until tomorrow when it will get breadcrumbs on top and stuck in the broiler.

I changed the cheeses a little from the original recipe, I added feta, and I accidentally added too much flour so I had to add additional milk. But if you follow the directions you shouldn't have that problem.

Ingredients:

12 ounces macaroni
6 Tablespoons butter
2 T. flour
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
3/4 c. white cheddar, grated

1/2 c. butter crackers, crushed
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

Method:

In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and whisk it constantly until it foams and then begins turning a light brown color. Immediately whisk in the flour until smooth, then add milk and whisk it over medium heat until smooth and slightly thickened. Whisk in cheeses and continue to stir over medium heat until the cheese is smooth and not at all clumpy. Pour over cooked macaroni, then transfer to a large baking dish. In a small bowl, stir together cracker crumbs and melted butter, then sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake on the middle rack in an oven preheated to “BROIL,” just until the top of the crackers is slightly browned, about 5-8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment