May 31, 2012

Fresh Mint Double Chocolate Cookies



Today Maxine and I picked some mint from my garden and made cookies! When I saw this recipe, from Heather Christo, I got really excited. I love doing weird things with baked goods. Like putting plants in them. This is one of those recipes that you're not sure is going to work out the way you want or not, but it totally did.

I think that we could have used a little more mint. As usual I subbed the 2 eggs for 5 yolks. We used a combination of peppermint and spearmint (I think). We had to borrow some from Jenn's yard.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
5 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

2 cups chocolate chips
2 cups chopped fresh mint

Method:

Preheat oven to 350.
Chop mint, set aside.
Mix all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, b soda, salt) in small bowl, set aside.
Cream butter and sugars in bowl of a stand mixer.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine.
Carefully add flour mixture to mixer in small additions while mixer is off, drape a towel over mixer and then turn it on low and hold on to your socks, cocoa may blow everywhere.
Keep adding flour while mixer is off and then beat each addition.
Once flour is all added, add mint and chocolate chips and combine.
Scoop 2 tbsp sized balls and plop them on a cookie sheet, about 8 on a tray.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until they are set.
Let them cool on the tray for a little while so they can firm up.

No comments:

Post a Comment