May 1, 2012

Crispy Coconut Cookies


I thought these cookies looked really pretty so I decided to try them out. Here is the original recipe. I made a few big mistakes when making these cookies. First, my batter should have gone into the fridge or freezer to firm up before baking because they spread like craaaaaazy. Second, I made my cookies too big and crowded the hell out of them on the baking sheet because I was too lazy to spread them between two sheets. I know. Laaaaazy! Thirdly, they came out a little under-done, these are supposed to be crispy cookies, not soft and falling apart cookies. But I really wanted to go to BJ's to get bulk chicken for our Mother's Day party so I pulled them out of the oven before they were completely done.

So I rushed it- as I often do- and they came out a little funky. Still good, but basically I made one big soft cookie. Oh well... They were supposed to look like this-


Ingredients:

10.5 tbsp butter
11 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp wheat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups dried coconut flakes
10 tbsp flour

Method:

Preheat oven to 375.
Line 2 baking sheets with tin foil- two sheets, not one!!!!
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Stir dry ingredients together: flour, wheat bran, baking soda, baking powder and coconut flakes.
Gradually add into butter mixture.
At this point if your batter is on the warm melty side like mine was, throw it in the freezer for 10 mins.
Create small balls and place on prepared baking sheets with distance between them.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from sheet to a cooling rack. Cool completely.

This picture is when I opened the oven and realized that the cookies had turned into one large cookie mass. Then I cursed and laughed and said oh well...


Photo Credit: Home Cooking Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment