March 16, 2012

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Apple Sauce Doughnut Muffins




This recipe is a modified version of Two Peas & Their Pod's Cinnamon Streusel Muffin recipe.

So here is the original recipe and the changes that I made:

Instead of AP flour I used the gluten-free flour from the bulk bin at Weaver's Way Coop, I used half a can of pumpkin (that was ll I had) and supplemented the rest with applesauce. I think I skipped the water all together and they turned out nice and moist anyway, I halved the sugar, and I added craisins, walnuts, and oats. I also baked these in my new Wilton's mini-doughnut pan rather than a regular muffin pan. Because the pan was shallower I reduced the cook time to about 15 mins and added another 2 minutes until the doughnuts bounced back to the touch and a test knife came out clean. They were moist, fluffy, and actually not that bad for you- and my gluten free friend loved them! I also left out the cinnamon filling and the streusel topping since these were supposed to be doughnuts but I have made this recipe with the filling etc. and they come out very nice.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

Yield: 24 muffinsCook Time: 17-20 minutes

ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Streusel Topping:

1 1/4 cup oats
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks

directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, water, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and combined.

4. Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are combined.

5. For the brown sugar cinnamon filling: in a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.

6. For the streusel topping: in a small bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix in the butter with your hands until the mixture is crumbly.

7. Fill muffin cups half way full with the pumpkin batter. Sprinkle the brown sugar cinnamon filling over each half filled muffin cup. Fill the muffins cups with the remaining batter. Top each muffin with streusel topping.

8. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove pans from oven and cool on a wire rack. Remove muffins from tins and enjoy.

Photo Credit: Two Peas and Their Pod

No comments:

Post a Comment