April 14, 2012

Whole Wheat Brownies


Holy fudgey brownie Martha Stewart!!

There are a lot of different kinds of brownies out there. There are really moist oil brownies, buttery flakey brownies, there are dryer cakier brownies, there are low-fat applesauce brownies, hell there are Katherine Hepburn brownies!!! Well these brownies are totally dense, totally dark, totally ridiculous. Redic!!

I wanted to make them because of the whole wheat flour thing but I got to my mom's house to bake and realized I had no chocolate chips! But I did have plenty of unsweetened bakers chocolate, so I started thinking... What if I substituted bakers chocolate and sugar for semisweet chocolate chips? Well I did it and it was awesome!!

Original recipe can be found at Martha's Website. I made a few changes, and I think it paid off. Besides the chocolate switch, I used half special dark cocoa powder and half regular cocoa powder, totaling 1/3 cup. I also left out the chocolate chips that Martha puts in at the end- you really don't need them.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used half regular cocoa powder and half special dark cocoa powder)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
8 ounces unsweetened bakers chocolate plus 10 tbsp white sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish; line with parchment, then spray the parchment too, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.

In a double boiler melt the 8 oz bakers chocolate and add the 10 tbsp white sugar and stir until combined and melted together- it's ok if the sugar is still sandy and unmelted in there- mine was.

In a large bowl, stir together brown sugar, applesauce, and egg.

Add butter to melted chocolate and stir until melted over the double boiler.

Stir chocolate mixture into applesauce mixture.

Stir in flour mixture.

Pour into pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 40 minutes.

Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Use parchment to lift cake from pan and cut into 16 squares.

Photo Credit: Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment