April 21, 2012

Muffin Thursday: Whole Wheat Rhubarb Muffins


It's that time again. Time to be late for Muffin Thursday and time for rhubarb. Marie loves rhubarb, and apparently Lauren does too because she yelled at me for not bringing her one.

I adapted a recipe from Smitten Kitchen that has a streusel topping. I wasn't feeling very streusely so I left that part off. I also changed out the butter for apple sauce and olive oil. This recipe didn't have a lot of sugar in it to begin with so I didn't have to back off on it. I made these in my giant muffin tins so they are almost like little cakes. The tartness of the rhubarb and the earthiness of the whole wheat is really nice. They are just subtly sweet. I really like that Smitten Kitchen didn't over-do the sugar here.


Ingredients:

1 egg
1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced rhubarb, in 1/2-inch pieces (I used 2 huge stalks)

Method:

Preheat oven to 400

Whisk egg in the bottom of a large bowl with both sugars. Whisk in apple sauce and oil, then sour cream. In a separate bowl, mix together flours, baking powder and baking soda and stir them into the sour cream mixture, mixing until just combined and still a bit lumpy. Fold in rhubarb.

Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until muffins bounce back to the touch and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean. Rest muffins in pan on cooling rack for two minutes, then remove muffins from tin to cool them completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment