July 7, 2012

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits


Yes it is going to be the hottest day of the year according to meteorologists. And yes I made a cake, biscuits, and lemon curd this morning. But I did it before it got really hot and I used a box fan to blow all of the hot air out of the kitchen.

I made some herbed biscuits the other day and realized they are are really easy and require very few ingredients. I am going to a BBQ tonight so I made these little savory bite-sized guys to bring along with my blueberry cake, which I still have to assemble and ice.

In between all of the baking and cooking (I'm making a salad too but thankfully there's nothing to cook there) I am lounging in Jenn's blow-up baby pool. Pool party at Jenn's!!

This recipe comes from Zoom Yummy. I used buttermilk instead of regular milk and added in about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and sprinkled some on top for fun. I accidentally put in 1/2 teaspoon of garlic when the recipe called for 1/2 tablespoon- that's what you get for not reading carefully.

Ingredients:

1 cup ap flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp b powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 stick cold butter- cut in pieces

1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling

Method:

Preheat oven to 400, spray mini muffin pans and set aside.
Combine all dry ingredients, set aside.
Chop butter in small pieces and cut into dry ingredients with pastry cutter until the butter is incorporated into the flour in small pea-sized pieces.
Add buttermilk and cheeses and mix with spatula until dough ball forms.
Work quickly and don't touch the dough too much with your hands or you'll melt the butter.
Turn the dough ball out onto your floured counter and roll into a log with your hands- work quickly.
Cut the dough into walnut -sized pieces and then roll each one in a ball with your hand and place directly into the sprayed muffin tin.
I used 1 1/4 muffin tins.
Sprinkle the tops with some parmesan if you like and bake for about 20 mins.
Mine didn't get as brown as the ones in the picture of the original recipe but I didn't want them to get dry so I took them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment