July 23, 2012

Big yellow cake

I actually went out and bought tumeric for this big yellow cake.  This recipe was so simple I had to try it even though I had no clue who would actually eat it.  It's vegan and it has a really earthy taste from the turmeric.  My cake came out a little less sweet than it should have because I used unsweetened coconut, so I suggest sticking with the sweetened.


Vegan Turmeric Cake
Adapted from May I Have Hat Recipe?

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups self rising flour (**see note for recipe)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp turmeric
  • 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • Pinch of salt
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 ¾ cups SWEETENED almond, coconut or soy milk (here we used Silk Pure Almond)
Method:

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease and flour a 10" spring form pan.  (The original recipe uses an 11x7" pan).  In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients, in a larger bowl mix the soy milk and the oil, add the dry to the wet and stir just til combined.  Pour into the pan and smooth down with your spatula.  Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until done in the middle.  Lastly, after the cake cooled I sifted a little powdered sugar on top.  

**Note:
  • 3 cups ap flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt

No comments:

Post a Comment