April 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Raisin Challah


I came across this Challah recipe on Naturally Emma. My mom used to make Challah bread at the bakery and since I'm on a bread kick and the recipe looked similar to the other breads I've been making I decided to try it. I made the dough and worked on a poster for school while it rose. Then I braided the dough and let it rise again, finished my poster and put it in the oven for 30 mins. When I cut it I decided maybe it should have stayed in for another 5 minutes, it was a tiiiiiiiny bit undercooked. I cut off a piece and went for a run with Lauren in Flourtown.

For my first official loaf of bread it came out well. Not as light and buttery as the white flour Challah I'm used to but the whole wheat has it's own rustic charm. The only changes I made were to add raisins to the dough and the sesame seeds to the top after brushing it with the egg wash. Next time I'm going to try a traditional white flour recipe and get it really light and fluffy inside.


Dough Ingredients:

* 1 cup water (luke warm)
* 1 package yeast
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 whole egg
* 2 cup whole wheat (or white wheat) flour
* 1 cup flour
* 1 cup raisins

Egg Wash Ingredients:

* 1 egg yolk
* 2 tablespoons water

Sprinkle On Top:

* Any seeds you want- sesame, poppy, sea salt, herbs etc.

Instructions:

1. Combine water, yeast, and 2 tablespoons of sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for five minutes until yeast begins to bubble.

2. Add the rest of the sugar, salt, egg, and 1 cup of the flour. Mix until combine with dough hook. Continue to add flour until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the mixer and dough begins to form one big ball. Continue to mix until dough becomes smooth and elastic (around 8-10 minutes longer).

3. Remove bowl from mixer and place in a warm place covered with a towl. Let rise until doubled- around an hour.


4. After first rise, remove dough from bowl and divide into three pieces. Roll each piece into a snake-like strand and squeeze together one end of all three strands. (We are going to braid them together). After you squeeze the ends together to start the braid, tuck under the joining spot so you can't see where all of the strands come together. Then oil your hands with olive oil so the dough is easy to handle and start your braid. Make it nice and tight. When you finish the braid squeeze all three ends together so the braid doesn't come undone and tuck the end under again letting the weight of the loaf hold the end together underneath. Quickly and carefully- so you don't mess up the form- transfer the bread from your counter to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Place loaf in warm spot and let rise again until doubled- half hour to forty-five minutes.


5. Towards the end of the second rise, preheat oven to 375˚. In a bowl, mix one egg yolk with two tablespoons of water- brush loaf (making sure entire surface is covered). Now you can sprinkle on your seeds if you want to- I used black sesame. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment