April 30, 2012

Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies


Double chocolate cookies are a fun change. You can find the original recipe here. I like this recipe because you don't have to melt chocolate into the dough which is messy and I always burn it in the microwave. These came out very delicate and crumbly. After portioning the cookies on the sheet I pressed them down with my hand. They didn't spread too much so I crowded them a little and it worked out fine.

Also, my very sweet friend Carolyn from class gave me some vanilla bean pods to experiment with. I've never used the pods before, only extract. So I was very excited to try them out. I scraped out the contents with the back of a knife and tapped it into my mixer. It made for some great cookies. Thanks Carolyn!!

Ingredients:

½ Cup/1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp Vanilla or the contents of 1 vanilla bean pod
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour, sifted
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
Pinch of Sea Salt
½ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/3 Cup Walnut Pieces

Method:

Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line two baking sheets with tin foil.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the chocolate chips and walnuts, and stir to combine.



In a separate mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla. Add the egg yolk and beat again. Add the dry ingredients and mix well to form a soft dough. Spoon out the dough onto baking sheets. Use the palm of your hand to press the dough down lightly and bake for about 11 to 12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, then remove from the oven and set the baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes to cool. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies on the rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment