April 2, 2012

Rustic Apple Cake


In celebration of Game of Thrones' premiere last night I made yet another apple cake recipe to bring to Jen's house. The original recipe can be found at Eat Good 4 Life's blog- I made a few changes.

So for some reason I decided to get fancy and I tried baking this in a small bunt pan. Well I oiled the pan but I didn't butter it and so the top third of the cake stuck to the pan. So this cake is really ugly- but reaaaaally delicious. I might make it again for Easter dinner, but use the right pans next time and grease and flour the pan!!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil (canola oil or vegetable oil will also work, olive oil has healthier fats)
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

3-4 apples, thinly sliced
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup OJ
powdered sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9 inch round pan.

In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar for 2-3 minutes. I do this with the hand mixer.

Stir in oil, and vanilla and combine. Then stir in flour and baking powder alternating with the milk. Stir in apples, coating every piece with batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 55-65 minutes or until cake pulls away from pan and is brown on top.

Cool for 20-30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment